Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn Telegram
    Trending:
    • Osun Decides: The Morning After, Postmortem for APC
    • Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt
    • World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116
    • Six killed in head-on collision on Damaturu highway
    • Motorcycle rider arrested for allegedly kidnapping Three-year-old pupil in Delta
    • US places 124 Nigerians on deportation list over alleged criminal convictions
    • Peller recounts four-day detention, said he went without food, bath
    • Woman recalls shock of giving birth while asleep during labour
    • Columns
    • Editorials
    • Videos
    Facebook X (Twitter)
    Naija Daily NewsNaija Daily News
    Subscribe
    Aug 19, 2026
    • Home
    • Politics
    • World
      1. Africa
      2. US News
      3. View All

      Nigerians stranded in S’Africa as repatriation delays trigger humanitarian concerns

      August 3, 2026

      Eight students arrested over deadly Kenya school fire

      May 29, 2026

      Several girls feared dead as fire guts Kenyan boarding school

      August 3, 2026

      WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda

      May 17, 2026

      Gunman killed after opening fire near white house, bystander injured

      May 24, 2026

      Jury begins deliberations in Alison-Madueke bribery trial in London

      May 18, 2026

      Trump announces killing of ISIS deputy in joint U.S.-Nigeria operation

      May 16, 2026

      Nigerian Prof jailed five years in US over $1.4m fraud

      May 14, 2026

      Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt

      August 19, 2026

      World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116

      August 19, 2026

      US places 124 Nigerians on deportation list over alleged criminal convictions

      August 19, 2026

      Woman recalls shock of giving birth while asleep during labour

      August 19, 2026
    • Business
      1. The Technocrat
      2. View All

      CBN warns against rejecting standard N100 banknote

      August 19, 2026

      Petrol price may fall below N800/litre, marketers tell FG

      August 19, 2026

      Tony Elumelu to Retire as UBA Group Chairman; Emmanuel Nnorom Named Successor

      August 13, 2026

      Tony Elumelu to retire as UBA group chairman, Emmanuel Nnorom named successor

      July 6, 2026
    • Entertainment
    • Education
    • Metro
    • Sports
    Naija Daily NewsNaija Daily News
    Home → News → Intrigue as S’Court Delivers Judgement on Suit to Unseat Tinubu
    Intrigue as S’Court Delivers Judgement on Suit to Unseat Tinubu

    Intrigue as S’Court Delivers Judgement on Suit to Unseat Tinubu

    0
    By Naija Daily News on December 16, 2024 News
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Reddit LinkedIn Copy Link

    The Supreme Court of Nigeria will today rule on a petition by a former presidential candidate, Chief Ambrose Owuru, to sack President Bola Tinubu from office on the allegation that the President is not qualified to be President.

    Owuru, the presidential flag-bearer of the Hope Democratic Party, HDP, in the 2019 general election, claimed that President Tinubu is an active agent of the Central Intelligence Agency, CIA, of the United States of America, USA, a position he said made him unfit to occupy the presidential seat.

    The Supreme Court fixed Monday, December 16, to hear the matter.

    A hearing notice issued to the parties read: “Please kindly take note that SC/CV/667/2023 Chief Ambrose Albert Owuru & Anor VS President Muhammadu Buhari & 3 Ors at the Supreme Court of Nigeria sitting at Abuja is slated for the hearing of Motions on Monday 16/12/2024.

    The plaintiff urged the apex court to disqualify Tinubu on the account that he had earlier forfeited the sum of $460,000 to the government of the USA in a drug-related case.

    He specifically prayed the Supreme Court to invoke section 157 of the 1999 Constitution, as amended, and oust Tinubu from office for being under the control of foreign authorities.

    Besides, Owuru, whose political party, HDP, had since been re-registered by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in his suit marked: SC/CV/667/2023, joined ex-President Muhammadu Buhari as a defendant in the matter.

    The appellant, a lawyer, also averred that ex-President Buhari’s tenure was illegal, claiming that he was the valid winner of the 2019 presidential poll, in which Buhari highjacked his mandate and piloted affairs of the country for eight years.

    He claimed that a suit he earlier lodged before the apex court to kick Buhari out of office was technically jettisoned by the court due to a mix-up in the hearing dates.

    Consequently, he argued that upon the disqualification of Tinubu for being unfit to hold the top job, the apex court should pronounce him as President and order his immediate inauguration to enable him to reclaim his usurped mandate.

    Aside from President Tinubu and Buhari, other Defendants in the suit are the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, as well as the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.

    See also  N61bn Fraud: EFCC docks fmr-Abia Gov Orji, son

    It will be recalled that the Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal had, on May 25, 2023, imposed an N40 million fine against the plaintiff for filing a “frivolous” suit to stop Tinubu from being sworn in as President.

    Owusu had also attempted to stop ex-President Buhari’s swearing-in.

    He claimed that INEC assisted President Buhari in manipulating the outcome of the 2019 presidential election.

    He contended that though the election was originally fixed for February 16, 2019, the INEC, about five hours before the commencement of the poll, announced a postponement and later held the electoral exercise on February 23, 2019.

    Owuru claimed that before the postponement, he had emerged as the winner of a referendum he said was conducted and monitored by both foreign and local organizations.

    He told the court that he had, at the end of the said referendum, garnered over 50 million votes, which he said was far and above the number of votes that other candidates that contested the presidential election, including Buhari, secured.

    Owuru argued that the petition he lodged against Buhari after the election was not adjudicated upon by the Supreme Court as required by law.

    He claimed that his petition was unjustly dismissed by the apex court following his absence, which was occasioned by the discrepancy in the hearing date that was served to him.

    He, therefore, urged the high court to validate his case by removing Buhari and declaring him the President.

    He further applied for an order to compel President Buhari to refund all monies he “illegally” collected as salaries, emoluments, and security votes.

    More so, the plaintiff prayed the court to halt the 2023 presidential election and order his immediate swearing-in as President for a four-year tenure of office.

    Following the dismissal of his case and the conduct of the presidential election on February 25, Owuru, approached the appellate court to stop the swearing-in of the then President-elect, Tinubu, a prayer the court refused.

    Supreme Court of Nigeria Tinubu
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar of Naija Daily News
    Naija Daily News
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)
    • LinkedIn

    Naija Daily News is a trusted digital news platform delivering breaking news, in-depth reporting, and timely updates from Nigeria and around the world across politics, business, entertainment, sports, technology, health, lifestyle, and current affairs.

    Related Articles

    May 2, 20263 Mins Read0

    How Supreme Court ruling reshaped political debate

    April 30, 20263 Mins Read0

    Supreme Court nullifies PDP’s Ibadan convention, deepens party crisis

    April 14, 20261 Min Read0

    S’Court to hear ADC leadership dispute appeal April 22

    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Poliitcs

    Osun Decides: The Morning After, Postmortem for APC

    August 19, 2026

    2027: Peter Obi alleges intimidation, says he may not be alive to contest

    August 19, 2026

    Peter Obi not a threat to Tinubu, says Umahi

    August 19, 2026

    Rivers budget delay sparks new constitutional crisis fears

    July 6, 2026
    Editorials

    Trump: From Convicted Felon to U.S. President-Elect

    August 6, 2026

    PENGASSAN crossed the line in Dangote dispute

    August 13, 2026

    Editorial: PENGASSAN crossed the line in Dangote dispute

    October 8, 2025

    Nigeria’s Push for STEM Education: Preparing the Next Generation for a Digital Future.

    August 6, 2026
    Popular Posts

    Nigeria Tax Act: No VAT on land, buildings, rent – Taiwo Oyedele

    August 17, 2026

    Exploring the Rise of Nigeria’s Creative Industry: Opportunities and Challenges.

    August 16, 2026

    Facebook, Instagram Deploy Face Technology to Fight Scams

    August 16, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Subscribe to Naija Daily News and get trusted news, and the day's biggest stories delivered to your inbox.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    Sections

    • Home
    • National
    • World
    • Politics
    • Crimes
    • Business
    • Metro

    More

    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Africa
    • US News
    • Travel
    • Education

    About Us

    • Our Mission
    • Contact Us
    • Contact the Editors
    • Site Map
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • Newsletter
    • Privacy Policy

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design, and business.

    © 2026 Naija Daily News. All Rights Reserved.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.