Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn Telegram
    Trending:
    • Osun Decides: The Morning After, Postmortem for APC
    • Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt
    • World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116
    • Six killed in head-on collision on Damaturu highway
    • Motorcycle rider arrested for allegedly kidnapping Three-year-old pupil in Delta
    • US places 124 Nigerians on deportation list over alleged criminal convictions
    • Peller recounts four-day detention, said he went without food, bath
    • Woman recalls shock of giving birth while asleep during labour
    • Columns
    • Editorials
    • Videos
    Facebook X (Twitter)
    Naija Daily NewsNaija Daily News
    Subscribe
    Aug 19, 2026
    • Home
    • Politics
    • World
      1. Africa
      2. US News
      3. View All

      Nigerians stranded in S’Africa as repatriation delays trigger humanitarian concerns

      August 3, 2026

      Eight students arrested over deadly Kenya school fire

      May 29, 2026

      Several girls feared dead as fire guts Kenyan boarding school

      August 3, 2026

      WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda

      May 17, 2026

      Gunman killed after opening fire near white house, bystander injured

      May 24, 2026

      Jury begins deliberations in Alison-Madueke bribery trial in London

      May 18, 2026

      Trump announces killing of ISIS deputy in joint U.S.-Nigeria operation

      May 16, 2026

      Nigerian Prof jailed five years in US over $1.4m fraud

      May 14, 2026

      Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt

      August 19, 2026

      World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116

      August 19, 2026

      US places 124 Nigerians on deportation list over alleged criminal convictions

      August 19, 2026

      Woman recalls shock of giving birth while asleep during labour

      August 19, 2026
    • Business
      1. The Technocrat
      2. View All

      CBN warns against rejecting standard N100 banknote

      August 19, 2026

      Petrol price may fall below N800/litre, marketers tell FG

      August 19, 2026

      Tony Elumelu to Retire as UBA Group Chairman; Emmanuel Nnorom Named Successor

      August 13, 2026

      Tony Elumelu to retire as UBA group chairman, Emmanuel Nnorom named successor

      July 6, 2026
    • Entertainment
    • Education
    • Metro
    • Sports
    Naija Daily NewsNaija Daily News
    Home → National → NLC, TUC back FCT workers, insist strike continues amid dispute with Wike
    NLC, TUC back FCT workers, insist strike continues amid dispute with Wike

    NLC, TUC back FCT workers, insist strike continues amid dispute with Wike

    0
    By Naija Daily News on January 28, 2026 National
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Reddit LinkedIn Copy Link

    The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have urged workers of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) to defend their rights with courage and dignity amid an ongoing dispute with the Minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike.

    In a joint statement issued on Wednesday, the two labour centres expressed solidarity with the workers, whom they said had been “shabbily treated” by the FCT minister. They criticized what they described as intimidation, humiliation and harassment of workers, particularly following a recent ruling by the National Industrial Court in Abuja.

    According to the statement, organized labour said the court ruling already placed an added burden on the workers, arguing that the minister’s alleged threats and hostile conduct had further worsened the situation.

    “Today, we find it necessary to issue a joint statement of support in solidarity with the workers of the Federal Capital Territory who have been shabbily treated by the Minister of FCT, Mr Nyesom Wike, and rubber-stamped by an Abuja National Industrial Court in a one-sided ruling intended to break up the strike,” the statement read.

    The NLC and TUC said they had expected the minister to use the court decision as an opportunity to engage organized labour in dialogue but accused him of instead resorting to threats against the workers.

    The labour centres maintained that workers could not be treated as “slaves in their own country” and stressed their commitment to the rule of law. They added that the strike would continue until the minister agreed to negotiate with the workers.

    See also  Federal Republic of Tinubu: Nigeria Drowning in Presidential Praise

    They also clarified that the interlocutory injunction obtained by the minister was directed at two individual union leaders and not against the striking unions, insisting that this meant the industrial action remained valid.

    FCTA workers embarked on an indefinite strike last week over what they described as the authorities’ failure to address long-standing labour and welfare demands. The action has led to the shutdown of activities across several major government offices in Abuja.

    In response, the FCT minister instituted legal action against the Joint Unions Action Committee (JUAC) over the strike.

    On Tuesday, the National Industrial Court ordered the workers to suspend the industrial action. In his ruling, the presiding judge, Emmanuel Subilim, held that while the matter constituted a trade dispute, the right of workers to embark on a strike was not absolute.

    The judge ruled that once a dispute is referred to the National Industrial Court, any ongoing strike must be suspended pending the determination of the case.

    Abuja State NLC Wike
    Share. Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email WhatsApp Copy Link
    Avatar of Naija Daily News
    Naija Daily News
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)
    • LinkedIn

    Naija Daily News is a trusted digital news platform delivering breaking news, in-depth reporting, and timely updates from Nigeria and around the world across politics, business, entertainment, sports, technology, health, lifestyle, and current affairs.

    Related Articles

    August 19, 20263 Mins Read0

    Defence Minister orders troops to kill bandits without waiting for approval

    August 19, 20262 Mins Read0

    PFIPC: Senate declines probe of controversial budget allocation, awaits ICPC investigation

    August 19, 20262 Mins Read0

    CBN warns against rejecting standard N100 banknote

    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Poliitcs

    Osun Decides: The Morning After, Postmortem for APC

    August 19, 2026

    2027: Peter Obi alleges intimidation, says he may not be alive to contest

    August 19, 2026

    Peter Obi not a threat to Tinubu, says Umahi

    August 19, 2026

    Rivers budget delay sparks new constitutional crisis fears

    July 6, 2026
    Editorials

    Trump: From Convicted Felon to U.S. President-Elect

    August 6, 2026

    PENGASSAN crossed the line in Dangote dispute

    August 13, 2026

    Editorial: PENGASSAN crossed the line in Dangote dispute

    October 8, 2025

    Nigeria’s Push for STEM Education: Preparing the Next Generation for a Digital Future.

    August 6, 2026
    Popular Posts

    Nigeria Tax Act: No VAT on land, buildings, rent – Taiwo Oyedele

    August 17, 2026

    Exploring the Rise of Nigeria’s Creative Industry: Opportunities and Challenges.

    August 16, 2026

    Facebook, Instagram Deploy Face Technology to Fight Scams

    August 16, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Subscribe to Naija Daily News and get trusted news, and the day's biggest stories delivered to your inbox.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    Sections

    • Home
    • National
    • World
    • Politics
    • Crimes
    • Business
    • Metro

    More

    • Sports
    • Health
    • Technology
    • Africa
    • US News
    • Travel
    • Education

    About Us

    • Our Mission
    • Contact Us
    • Contact the Editors
    • Site Map
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • Newsletter
    • Privacy Policy

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design, and business.

    © 2026 Naija Daily News. All Rights Reserved.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.