Former Labour Party presidential candidate Peter Obi has been cleared to contest in the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress ahead of the 2027 general election.

Chairman of the party’s National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, announced Obi’s clearance on Wednesday in a video shared on the party’s official X account following the screening exercise held in Abuja on Tuesday.

Egwu said the committee was satisfied that Obi met all constitutional and statutory requirements to contest for the presidency.

“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu stated.

Reacting to the development on his official X account, Obi disclosed that the screening process lasted more than two and a half hours, during which members of the committee reviewed his credentials and questioned him on his vision for Nigeria.

“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations,” he said.

“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.

“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for.”

Obi also commended the screening committee and the leadership of the party for conducting what he described as a credible and transparent process.

“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he added.

Obi formally joined the NDC on May 3 after leaving the Labour Party and subsequently exiting the African Democratic Congress amid efforts to build a broad opposition coalition ahead of the 2027 election.

The party has since attracted several prominent political figures, including former Kano State Governor Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso.

The NDC has zoned its 2027 presidential ticket to the South for a single four-year term, with the presidency expected to rotate to the North in 2031.

Obi remains the only aspirant to have publicly confirmed purchasing the party’s presidential nomination form, positioning him as the leading contender for the ticket.

The party is expected to hold its presidential and other primaries in Abuja between May 27 and May 29, 2026, as part of preparations for the 2027 general election.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *