The Delta State Police Command has recorded another breakthrough in its sustained crackdown on kidnapping and violent crimes, following the death of a suspected kidnapper and the recovery of an AK-47 rifle during a coordinated operation in the Ubulu-Okiti forest axis.

The operation, carried out in the early hours of May 18, 2026, involved operatives of the State Anti-Kidnapping Unit (SAKU) in collaboration with local security volunteers.

According to the Command’s spokesman, SP Bright Edafe, the operation was based on intelligence gathered from ongoing investigations into recent kidnapping incidents across parts of the state.

Edafe disclosed that the suspected gang had been linked to a series of kidnapping operations in Ubulu-Uku, Ubulu-Okiti, Issele-Uku, and neighbouring communities.

Acting on the intelligence, operatives reportedly traced the suspects to their hideout deep inside the forest.

The police spokesman said the suspects opened fire on the operatives upon sighting them, leading to a gun duel.

During the exchange, one of the suspected kidnappers sustained severe gunshot injuries, while other members of the gang escaped into the forest with varying degrees of injuries.

Items recovered from the scene included an AK-47 rifle loaded with five rounds of live ammunition, as well as suspected criminal charms believed to have been used by the gang.

Edafe said the injured suspect was rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment but was later confirmed dead by the attending doctor.

He added that operatives had commenced an extensive combing operation of the forest and surrounding areas to track down the fleeing suspects and recover additional weapons and exhibits connected to the syndicate.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Yemi Oyeniyi, commended the bravery and professionalism displayed by the operatives during the operation.

He reaffirmed the Command’s commitment to intelligence-driven policing and sustained efforts aimed at dismantling criminal networks operating across Delta State.

Oyeniyi also urged residents to continue providing credible and timely information to security agencies, assuring the public that operational strategies had been intensified to ensure the safety of lives and property in the state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *