Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn Telegram
    Trending:
    • Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt
    • World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116
    • Six killed in head-on collision on Damaturu highway
    • Motorcycle rider arrested for allegedly kidnapping Three-year-old pupil in Delta
    • US places 124 Nigerians on deportation list over alleged criminal convictions
    • Peller recounts four-day detention, said he went without food, bath
    • Woman recalls shock of giving birth while asleep during labour
    • Four killed, several injured as rival groups clash in Oyo
    • Columns
    • Editorials
    • Videos
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn Telegram
    Naija Daily NewsNaija Daily News
    Subscribe
    Aug 17, 2026
    • Home
    • Politics
    • World
      1. Africa
      2. US News
      3. View All

      Nigerians stranded in S’Africa as repatriation delays trigger humanitarian concerns

      August 3, 2026

      Eight students arrested over deadly Kenya school fire

      May 29, 2026

      Several girls feared dead as fire guts Kenyan boarding school

      August 3, 2026

      WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda

      May 17, 2026

      Gunman killed after opening fire near white house, bystander injured

      May 24, 2026

      Jury begins deliberations in Alison-Madueke bribery trial in London

      May 18, 2026

      Trump announces killing of ISIS deputy in joint U.S.-Nigeria operation

      May 16, 2026

      Nigerian Prof jailed five years in US over $1.4m fraud

      May 14, 2026

      Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt

      August 16, 2026

      World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116

      August 16, 2026

      US places 124 Nigerians on deportation list over alleged criminal convictions

      July 9, 2026

      Woman recalls shock of giving birth while asleep during labour

      July 8, 2026
    • Business
      1. The Technocrat
      2. View All

      CBN warns against rejecting standard N100 banknote

      August 1, 2026

      Petrol price may fall below N800/litre, marketers tell FG

      July 7, 2026

      Tony Elumelu to Retire as UBA Group Chairman; Emmanuel Nnorom Named Successor

      August 13, 2026

      Tony Elumelu to retire as UBA group chairman, Emmanuel Nnorom named successor

      July 6, 2026
    • Entertainment
    • Education
    • Metro
    • Sports
    Naija Daily NewsNaija Daily News
    Home → Breaking News → Court convicts ex-power minister Saleh Mamman in N33bn money laundering case
    Court convicts ex-power minister Saleh Mamman in N33bn money laundering case

    Court convicts ex-power minister Saleh Mamman in N33bn money laundering case

    0
    By Naija Daily News on May 7, 2026 Breaking News, Crimes, Trending
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Reddit LinkedIn Copy Link

    A Federal High Court in Abuja has convicted former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, in a 12-count amended money laundering case filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission involving N33 billion.

    Justice James Omotosho delivered the judgment on Thursday and adjourned sentencing to a later date.

    Mamman, who was absent when the judgment was delivered, had earlier pleaded not guilty to the charges, leading to a full trial.

    In his judgment, Justice Omotosho said the key issues for determination were whether the defendant’s right to a fair hearing had been breached and whether the prosecution had proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt.

    The defence had argued that Mamman’s right to a fair hearing was violated after the court declined an application to recall the second prosecution witness, who had already been cross-examined.

    However, the judge dismissed the argument, describing the move as an unusual procedure aimed at discrediting the prosecution’s evidence.

    “This attempt to recall a witness who has been duly cross-examined by the defence is, without doubt, a strange procedure,” the judge held, resolving the issue in favour of the prosecution.

    On the amended charges, Justice Omotosho ruled that the prosecution was legally empowered to amend its charges before judgment and did not require prior leave of court to do so.

    The court also noted that the former minister failed to call any witness in defence or rebut the prosecution’s evidence.

    “Consequently, this court holds that the prosecution has established counts one to four of the charge, and the defendant is convicted,” the judge declared.

    Justice Omotosho further held that Mamman purchased property in cash beyond the legal limit permitted under Nigerian law and found the testimonies of prosecution witnesses credible and convincing.

    The judge said the former minister failed to successfully challenge allegations of criminal breach of trust and conspiracy brought against him by the EFCC, adding that evidence before the court showed he admitted using illicitly obtained funds.

    The court concluded that the anti-graft agency had proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt and established that at least N22 billion was diverted by the former minister.

    Justice Omotosho described the diversion of funds meant for critical power projects as shameful, noting that the money was intended to address Nigeria’s longstanding electricity challenges.

    Mamman was arraigned by the EFCC on July 11, 2024, over allegations that he conspired with ministry officials and private companies to divert N33,804,830,503.73 through multiple firms.

    The commission alleged that the funds were part of allocations for the Mambilla and Zungeru Hydroelectric Power Projects and that their diversion amounted to conspiracy, abuse of office, and criminal breach of trust.

    The former minister, who served as Nigeria’s Minister of Power between 2019 and 2021, was removed from office by former President Muhammadu Buhari in 2021 amid allegations of financial misconduct.

    He was subsequently arrested by the EFCC on May 10, 2021, as investigations into his tenure commenced.

    Earlier this year, Mamman also declared his intention to contest the forthcoming governorship election in Taraba State under the platform of the All Progressives Congress.

    Alleged Money Laundering Ex-power Minister Saleh Mamman
    Avatar of Naija Daily News
    Naija Daily News
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)
    • LinkedIn

    Naija Daily News is a trusted digital news platform delivering breaking news, in-depth reporting, and timely updates from Nigeria and around the world across politics, business, entertainment, sports, technology, health, lifestyle, and current affairs.

    Related Articles

    August 16, 20263 Mins Read550 Views0

    Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt

    August 16, 20261 Min Read2 Views0

    Six killed in head-on collision on Damaturu highway

    August 6, 20262 Mins Read7 Views0

    Motorcycle rider arrested for allegedly kidnapping Three-year-old pupil in Delta

    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Poliitcs

    2027: Peter Obi alleges intimidation, says he may not be alive to contest

    July 8, 2026

    Peter Obi not a threat to Tinubu, says Umahi

    July 7, 2026

    Rivers budget delay sparks new constitutional crisis fears

    July 6, 2026

    Poor funding cause of Nigeria’s education crisis, says Peter Obi

    July 4, 2026
    Editorials

    Trump: From Convicted Felon to U.S. President-Elect

    August 6, 2026

    PENGASSAN crossed the line in Dangote dispute

    August 13, 2026

    Editorial: PENGASSAN crossed the line in Dangote dispute

    October 8, 2025

    Nigeria’s Push for STEM Education: Preparing the Next Generation for a Digital Future.

    August 6, 2026
    Popular Posts

    Nigeria Tax Act: No VAT on land, buildings, rent – Taiwo Oyedele

    August 16, 2026

    Exploring the Rise of Nigeria’s Creative Industry: Opportunities and Challenges.

    August 16, 2026

    Facebook, Instagram Deploy Face Technology to Fight Scams

    August 16, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Subscribe to Naija Daily News and get trusted news, and the day's biggest stories delivered to your inbox.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 Naija Daily News. All Rights Reserved.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.