A gunman was shot dead by United States Secret Service agents after opening fire near the White House on Saturday evening, sparking panic in downtown Washington, DC, and triggering a massive security response around the presidential complex.

The shooting occurred shortly after 6:00 p.m. local time when the suspect reportedly pulled a firearm from a bag and began shooting close to the White House security perimeter. Secret Service officers immediately returned fire, killing the attacker during the exchange.

According to Secret Service communications chief Anthony Guglielmi, one bystander was also struck during the gunfire and taken for medical attention, although officials did not immediately disclose the person’s condition. No Secret Service personnel were injured in the incident.

US President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time but was not harmed. The president had reportedly been engaged in discussions related to negotiations with Iran when the shooting unfolded.

Authorities later identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best from Maryland. Several US media outlets reported that the man had a history of mental health concerns and had previously encountered Secret Service officers on multiple occasions.

The area surrounding the White House was quickly locked down as heavily armed police officers, federal agents, and National Guard troops flooded the scene. Streets leading to the presidential complex were cordoned off while security teams conducted extensive checks.

Eyewitnesses described scenes of confusion and fear as the gunfire erupted.

Canadian tourist Reid Adrian told reporters that he initially mistook the sounds for fireworks before realizing they were gunshots.

“We heard probably 20 to 25 shots, and then everyone started running,” he said.

Journalists gathered on the White House North Lawn were ordered to take cover immediately. ABC News correspondent Selina Wang, who was recording a social media video nearby, reportedly captured the sound of the gunfire before diving to the ground for safety.

“It sounded like dozens of gunshots,” she later wrote on X.

In a statement posted on Truth Social early Sunday, Trump praised the response of security agencies.

“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House,” the president wrote, adding that the suspect reportedly had a violent history.

The latest incident adds to growing security concerns surrounding Trump, who has faced multiple alleged assassination attempts in recent years.

In July 2024, a gunman opened fire during a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, killing one audience member and grazing Trump’s ear. Months later, another armed suspect was arrested at a golf course in West Palm Beach while the president was present.

More recently, on April 25, an armed man reportedly attempted to breach security during a media gala attended by Trump, though he was stopped before getting close to the president.

Following Saturday’s shooting, House Republicans condemned political violence and commended the Secret Service for its rapid response.

Trump has repeatedly cited security concerns as justification for major upgrades at the White House, including an ongoing $400 million construction project that will reportedly include a heavily fortified ballroom and underground security facilities.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *