Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn Telegram
    Trending:
    • Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt
    • World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116
    • Six killed in head-on collision on Damaturu highway
    • Motorcycle rider arrested for allegedly kidnapping Three-year-old pupil in Delta
    • US places 124 Nigerians on deportation list over alleged criminal convictions
    • Peller recounts four-day detention, said he went without food, bath
    • Woman recalls shock of giving birth while asleep during labour
    • Four killed, several injured as rival groups clash in Oyo
    • Columns
    • Editorials
    • Videos
    Facebook X (Twitter) LinkedIn Telegram
    Naija Daily NewsNaija Daily News
    Subscribe
    Aug 17, 2026
    • Home
    • Politics
    • World
      1. Africa
      2. US News
      3. View All

      Nigerians stranded in S’Africa as repatriation delays trigger humanitarian concerns

      August 3, 2026

      Eight students arrested over deadly Kenya school fire

      May 29, 2026

      Several girls feared dead as fire guts Kenyan boarding school

      August 3, 2026

      WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, Uganda

      May 17, 2026

      Gunman killed after opening fire near white house, bystander injured

      May 24, 2026

      Jury begins deliberations in Alison-Madueke bribery trial in London

      May 18, 2026

      Trump announces killing of ISIS deputy in joint U.S.-Nigeria operation

      May 16, 2026

      Nigerian Prof jailed five years in US over $1.4m fraud

      May 14, 2026

      Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt

      August 16, 2026

      World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116

      August 16, 2026

      US places 124 Nigerians on deportation list over alleged criminal convictions

      July 9, 2026

      Woman recalls shock of giving birth while asleep during labour

      July 8, 2026
    • Business
      1. The Technocrat
      2. View All

      CBN warns against rejecting standard N100 banknote

      August 1, 2026

      Petrol price may fall below N800/litre, marketers tell FG

      July 7, 2026

      Tony Elumelu to Retire as UBA Group Chairman; Emmanuel Nnorom Named Successor

      August 13, 2026

      Tony Elumelu to retire as UBA group chairman, Emmanuel Nnorom named successor

      July 6, 2026
    • Entertainment
    • Education
    • Metro
    • Sports
    Naija Daily NewsNaija Daily News
    Home → Trending → WTO, ILO no longer targeted in latest US foreign aid cuts
    WTO, ILO no longer targeted in latest US foreign aid cuts

    WTO, ILO no longer targeted in latest US foreign aid cuts

    0
    By Naija Daily News on September 4, 2025 Trending, World
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Reddit LinkedIn Copy Link

    By Deborah Nnamdi

    The World Trade Organization (WTO) and the International Labour Organization (ILO) told AFP on Thursday that they are no longer included among the entities affected by the White House’s latest round of foreign aid reductions.

    Last Friday, President Donald Trump’s Republican administration announced it was cancelling $4.9 billion in congressionally approved foreign aid, drawing strong criticism from Democrats. A memo outlining the cuts stated that the administration was “committed to getting America’s fiscal house in order by cutting government spending that is woke, weaponised, and wasteful.”

    Among the initial targets were several international organizations, including the ILO and WTO, with proposed cuts of $107 million and $29 million respectively. Trump, who has significantly scaled back the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) since returning to office in January, had included both Geneva-based agencies in the proposed reductions.

    However, by Wednesday, the WTO had been removed from the list, and the ILO followed on Thursday.

    “We are aware of the removal of the International Labour Organization from a U.S. administration memo released on August 29,” an ILO spokesperson told AFP. “We are seeking more information on what this latest development means for the ILO.”

    The WTO also confirmed to AFP that it was “not on the funding cut list anymore.”

    No official explanation was provided for why the two organizations were quietly removed from the final version of the White House document.

    Earlier this week, the ILO said that following Trump’s earlier executive orders cutting foreign aid, most U.S.-funded ILO projects were ordered to close. Of the 229 staff working on those projects, 190 initially received termination notices. However, more than half were eventually reassigned to other programs, according to an ILO spokesperson.

    The U.S. remains the largest contributor to the WTO, providing 23 million Swiss francs ($28.5 million) this year — about 11.4% of its total budget. Washington also funds 22% of the ILO’s regular budget.

    Despite this, the United States has yet to pay its contributions for 2024 or 2025 to either organization — a delay that is not uncommon among member states.

    WTO
    Avatar of Naija Daily News
    Naija Daily News
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)
    • LinkedIn

    Naija Daily News is a trusted digital news platform delivering breaking news, in-depth reporting, and timely updates from Nigeria and around the world across politics, business, entertainment, sports, technology, health, lifestyle, and current affairs.

    Related Articles

    August 16, 20263 Mins Read550 Views0

    Make the Vatican Great Again: Trump’s absurd, disrespectful Papal stunt

    August 16, 20262 Mins Read401 Views0

    World’s Oldest Person, Inah Canabarro Lucas, Dies at 116

    August 16, 20261 Min Read2 Views0

    Six killed in head-on collision on Damaturu highway

    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Poliitcs

    2027: Peter Obi alleges intimidation, says he may not be alive to contest

    July 8, 2026

    Peter Obi not a threat to Tinubu, says Umahi

    July 7, 2026

    Rivers budget delay sparks new constitutional crisis fears

    July 6, 2026

    Poor funding cause of Nigeria’s education crisis, says Peter Obi

    July 4, 2026
    Editorials

    Trump: From Convicted Felon to U.S. President-Elect

    August 6, 2026

    PENGASSAN crossed the line in Dangote dispute

    August 13, 2026

    Editorial: PENGASSAN crossed the line in Dangote dispute

    October 8, 2025

    Nigeria’s Push for STEM Education: Preparing the Next Generation for a Digital Future.

    August 6, 2026
    Popular Posts

    Nigeria Tax Act: No VAT on land, buildings, rent – Taiwo Oyedele

    August 16, 2026

    Exploring the Rise of Nigeria’s Creative Industry: Opportunities and Challenges.

    August 16, 2026

    Facebook, Instagram Deploy Face Technology to Fight Scams

    August 16, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Subscribe to Naija Daily News and get trusted news, and the day's biggest stories delivered to your inbox.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 Naija Daily News. All Rights Reserved.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.