A devastating fire has swept through the popular Singer Market in Kano State, destroying goods and property worth over N5 billion, affecting more than 1,000 businesses, and leaving seven persons missing.
The blaze, which reportedly started around 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, raged late into the night despite efforts by emergency responders to contain it. Firefighters from the Kano State Fire Service, supported by the Federal Fire Service and private organisations, battled the inferno for several hours as desperate traders attempted to salvage their wares.
Chairman of the market, Junaid Zakari, described the incident as one of the worst tragedies in the market’s history. He said four residential buildings housing small-scale businesses were completely razed, while more than 1,000 shops and stalls were affected.
“This is one of the darkest moments we have experienced in Singer Market. Properties worth over N5 billion have been lost. The livelihoods of hundreds of families have been crippled,” Zakari said.
He added that goods, equipment and other valuables were completely burnt, leaving traders in despair. According to him, seven persons have been declared missing, with ongoing efforts to ascertain their whereabouts and determine whether they survived the incident.
Zakari commended firefighters and security agencies for their prompt response but stressed that the scale of destruction was overwhelming. He appealed to the government, corporate organisations and well-meaning individuals to support affected traders in rebuilding their businesses.
Singer Market, one of Kano’s major commercial hubs, serves thousands of traders and customers daily. The latest fire affected parts of the market, including the Gidan Gilas section, where shops and property were extensively damaged.
Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, visited the scene on Saturday night to assess the damage and commended emergency responders for their efforts. He called on the Federal Government to provide modern firefighting equipment, including air support and other critical tools, to help prevent future occurrences.
In a statement issued on Sunday by his spokesperson, Sanusi Dawakin-Tofa, the governor urged traders and residents to remain calm and cooperate with authorities as investigations continue.
Reacting to the incident, President Bola Tinubu ordered a comprehensive investigation into the fire outbreak. In a statement by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, the President expressed concern that the incident occurred less than two weeks after a similar fire devastated the same market.
Tinubu commiserated with traders and the people of Kano State, describing the incident as tragic, and said he had earlier contacted Governor Yusuf to obtain a detailed situation report. He directed relevant authorities to investigate the recurring fires, which have repeatedly left traders counting heavy losses.
The latest disaster comes barely two weeks after another inferno tore through the market in the early hours of February 2, destroying goods worth billions of naira along Bello Road, including sections such as Gidan Mazaf, Gidan Taki and Gidan Katsinawa.
The earlier incident drew visits from prominent political figures, including former presidential candidates Peter Obi and Rabiu Kwankwaso, who sympathized with victims and called for stronger investment in emergency response systems.
Authorities say efforts are ongoing to fully assess the extent of damage from the latest blaze, while investigations into its cause are expected to commence immediately.














