By Deborah Nnamdi
Suspected bandits have abducted at least six travellers along the Naka–Makurdi road in Benue State in the early hours of Tuesday, in an incident that has heightened fresh security concerns in the area.
The attack reportedly occurred at Kula village, a community located a short distance from Makurdi, the state capital. Sources said the victims were part of a seven-member group travelling from Ilorin on Monday.
According to a relative of one of the victims, who spoke on condition of anonymity, the travellers had initially halted their journey in Ankpa due to security concerns along the route. They resumed their trip early Tuesday morning but ran into trouble about 20 minutes from Makurdi.
“Their vehicle was intercepted by armed men at Kula village. There were seven in the vehicle. One passenger managed to escape, while the remaining six, three men and three women were taken away by the kidnappers,” the source said.
The abductors have reportedly demanded a ransom of N100 million for the release of the victims.
Chairman of Gwer West Local Government Area, Omnin Torsar, confirmed the abduction, stating that the incident occurred around 5 a.m. along the Naka–Makurdi axis. He said the victims were travelling in a convoy when they encountered the bandits but noted that he could not confirm the exact number of those abducted.
When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Udeme Edet, said she had yet to receive an official report on the incident.
The latest abduction comes amid a surge in kidnapping cases across the state. Last week, nine worshippers were reportedly abducted at St John’s Catholic Church in Ojije in Ado Local Government Area, while 14 travellers were kidnapped in neighbouring Okpokwu LGA.
The Makurdi–Naka road, once notorious for frequent abductions, had recently witnessed a decline in attacks following the deployment of security operatives. However, Tuesday’s incident has renewed fears among residents and motorists over safety along the route.












