By Deborah Nnamdi

The detained leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has revealed plans to call witnesses from across the world, including the United States, Kenya, and Ethiopia, in his ongoing terrorism trial before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

Kanu, who recently dismissed his legal team led by former Attorney-General of the Federation, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), announced on Friday that he would personally conduct his defence. Appearing before Justice James Omotosho, he said he had filed a motion on October 21 seeking permission to call 23 witnesses divided into two categories — “ordinary but material witnesses” and “vital and compellable” witnesses to be summoned under Section 232 of the Evidence Act, 2011.

The IPOB leader requested the court to grant him 90 days to conclude his defence, citing the number and international locations of his proposed witnesses.

“My lord, my counsel left the case yesterday, and I have not received the file from them,” Kanu told the court. “The few people who could have brought the file were prevented from seeing me. I have about 23 witnesses coming from Ethiopia, Kenya, and the United States. I will need enough time and access to prepare.”

Kanu also complained that the three-day weekly visitation granted to him by the Department of State Services (DSS) — limited to two hours each on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays — was insufficient for his defence preparations. He asked the court to extend access for his new legal representatives and witnesses.

Responding, prosecution counsel Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN) noted that the Federal Government was ready to proceed with the defence, adding that Kanu had ample time since his no-case submission was dismissed. He, however, did not oppose the adjournment request, urging the court to maintain the existing 10-day timeframe for the defendant’s self-defence.

Justice Omotosho, while expressing surprise that Agabi had yet to hand over the case file, granted Kanu’s request for an adjournment to enable him to obtain the necessary documents. The judge also directed the DSS to grant Kanu access to his counsel on Saturdays and Mondays to facilitate trial preparations.

The court, however, cautioned that it would not allow unnecessary delays, noting that it had already scheduled extended sessions to ensure Kanu’s trial proceeds without disrupting other pending cases.

“In the interest of justice and fair hearing, I will give this opportunity,” Justice Omotosho ruled. “But I beg the defendant to make use of it so that other cases before this court do not suffer.”

The matter was adjourned until October 27 for Kanu to open his defence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *